Here at The Fertility Agency, we understand that the holidays are not necessarily a happy time for everyone, especially those dealing with infertility, loss, and/or using alternative conception methods.
This time of year can stir up emotions and stir up unwanted questions as well.
If you are someone who is suffering in silence, we have created a list of 10 tips for dealing with infertility during the holidays.
Our dearest hope is that by using these 10 tips, you can enjoy a peaceful holiday, where you prioritize your needs over all else.
- Plan out possible responses to uncomfortable questions you are nervous about getting. These could be as simple as “I do not want to discuss that” or “I’d rather not focus my attention on that topic today.”
- Schedule time to relax. Try not to overwhelm yourself with an abundance of plans and events. Meditate, work out, journal, self-care, whatever makes you feel most at peace.
- Reach out to family or friends beforehand, expressing your concern over possible uncomfortable topics of conversation.
- Make sure you have a great support system: whether that is friends, pets, family, etc. Lean on this support system.
- Seek out help if needed whether that means scheduling a therapy session prior to the holidays, scheduling alone time, or some time with loved ones.
- Make a list of affirmations and rely on them as needed.
- Minimize the amount of time you spend on social media.
- Take time to do things that make you happy: hobbies, activities, rituals, traditions, etc.
- Prioritize yourself and your emotions: give yourself permission not to attend certain events or activities that make you sad or uncomfortable.
- Take breaks when needed: give yourself permission to excuse yourself for short periods as well as from uncomfortable situations or conversations. This could entail going to the bathroom or stepping outside for a few minutes.
Make sure to prioritize your peace this holiday season. We at The Fertility Agency send our love and support to everyone who needs it.